PROVIDING TELEPHONE AND FOLLOW-UP EMAIL SUPPORT
Our Autism Helpline provides telephone and follow-up email support to parents, family carers and professionals who support individuals of any age with autism spectrum condition (ASC).
During lockdown we understand that parents are experiencing heightened issues around managing autism. We have increased the availability of this service to be able to help as many families as possible.
We can help you if you are a parent or family carer of someone of any age who has been diagnosed with autism spectrum condition (ASC) or a professional who is supporting those with autism. You may be a:
- parent or family carer of a child aged 12 or below
- parent or family carer of an adult, aged 18+, with autism.
- parent or family carer of an adolescent aged 12 – 18 years
- professional, for example, teachers, classroom assistants and support workers
Examples of typical issues covered during lockdown:
- How do I explain coronavirus quarantine? (see also our link here for further information on this)
- How can I reduce anxiety and distress during quarantine?
- Managing imposed change to routine
- Uncertainty about the future & transitions
- Understanding imposed limitations
In addition to the following:
- Walking safely
- Understanding dangers
- Social Isolation
- Teaching social skills
- Toileting issues
- Sleep issues
- School refusal
- Obsessive behaviour
- Inappropriate behaviour towards others – parents, peers, pets etc.
We will also signposting to other appropriate services including education rights, welfare rights and advocacy services.
- You’ll be offered a pre-arranged phone appointment with our experienced autism consultant.
- Calls are 30-minute duration and will cover one issue per call, however, you are welcome to access the service as many times as you need.
- Individualised Support – your session will allow you to discuss the issue as it relates to your own child and family circumstances. Any information, advice and support will be tailored to your situation.
- After your call you will receive a follow-up email with a breakdown of the conversation and strategies discussed.
- You will be able to take advantage of a limited number of email conversations following on from your call.
For more information or to book a Helpline appointment, please contact our Autism Family Worker, Val Corcoran, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or texting 07467 918514
“This service has been invaluable. I received amazing advice on how to deal with our issue. We now have a visual timetable which our son also uses in school. The stress levels have halved for all of us. I can’t praise it highly enough.”
“The helpline is worth its weight in gold, especially if you have other commitments and are unable to attend groups or training. I have two children who regularly attend hospital so I can’t always come to the carers centre for support. To have someone who ’gets it’ was fantastic.”
“Specialist totally understood my issue. It was spot-on. She helped me with the challenges I was having and put me on the right track with my child’s education.”
“Thank you so much for the guidance. I appreciate the time and expertise given, in helping me to put visual aids in place to support my child’s transition from getting up to getting to school.”
“I can’t recommend the Autism Helpline highly enough. They really did understand my issue and I found the information useful in supporting my child around his sleep and social skills issues.”